We Serve the Injured. Big City Experience. Warm Southern Approach.
Tri-State Brain Injury Attorneys
What Is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A traumatic brain injury (otherwise referred to as a TBI) is an injury that is generally caused by a sudden, violent jolt or blow to the head. If you or your loved one suffered a TBI as the result of someone else’s negligence, you may want to consult an attorney who is very cognizant of these important injuries and can help you navigate the legal system.
Fighting to Hold the Responsible Parties Accountable in West Virginia, Ohio & Kentucky
At Burnside Brankamp Law, our brain injury attorneys can help you understand your legal options. We strive to hold the responsible parties accountable for your serious injuries while working to recover the full, fair compensation you are owed.
Get in touch with our brain injury attorneys in the Tri-State today at (888) 724-9319 to schedule your free initial consultation with our team.
What is the Difference Between an ABI and a TBI?
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) generally refers to when an external force such as a car accident causes some form of alteration in brain function. Whereas an acquired brain injury (ABI) is generally caused by internal factors such as a lack of oxygen, swelling, or internal bleeding.
Examples of an Acquired Brain Injury
Some examples of acquired brain injuries include, but are not limited to:
- Drug overdose
- Near drowning
- Heart attack
Examples of a Traumatic Brain Injury
Some examples of traumatic brain injuries include, but are not limited to:
- Sports related accident
- Car or motorcycle accident
- Slip & fall
- Hit by a falling object
Why Hire a Brain Injury Attorney
You need an attorney who is experienced in brain injury cases to:
- Ensure, first and foremost, that you are not being denied medical care from your doctors: Doctors are very busy. Emergency room physicians have certain protocols for head injuries. Victims of head injuries many times get a quick CT scan that comes back negative, and assume everything with their brain is fine. The ER staff is likely going to release you if you do not have a life-threatening condition; this does not necessarily mean that your brain has not been injured. There are several types of brain injuries such as concussion, bleeding, bruising, and other effects including depression, post-concussive syndrome, and even post-traumatic stress (PTSD) that doctors may attribute to the circumstance that caused the hospital visit. A traumatic brain injury can be classified as either a mild traumatic brain injury or a severe traumatic brain injury. Although a “mild” brain injury may allow the victim to go home, it can be very devastating to the victim and their family.
- Only certain doctors can properly diagnose a TBI: Some doctors, who do not practice in the desired area, such as those without the expertise of, say, a neurosurgeon or a neuropsychiatrist, may not recognize the symptoms of the TBI. Often, this results in a victim’s valid issues being dismissed as irrelevant or not serious. Our legal team will not dismiss you, but will encourage you to get the proper medical care. It is important that any brain injury is diagnosed so that it can properly be treated.
- Sometimes a TBI victim is incapable of making important decisions with their case. We can help: In any legal case, it is important that the brain injury victim has “legal capacity” to make decisions. In these instances, our legal team can help evaluate whether the victim has the legal capacity to serve as the person making all the decisions in the case. Sometimes, it becomes necessary in these cases to have a probate court appoint a guardian or a conservator to make these important decisions for the injured victim. Having a trusted loved one or a professional assist with these decisions can take enormous pressure off a brain injury victim.
- We fight insurance companies who don’t treat brain injuries with the seriousness that they deserve: Many brain injuries can be classified as psychological. Conditions resulting from trauma to the brain, such as pseudoseizures, are usually fought by insurance companies. They often argue that the victim is malingering or that by the psychological makeup of the injury, that the victim is simply overreacting. Our legal team fights this excuse and ensure that every brain injury client is treated with respect and given the benefit of the doubt.
At Burnside Brankamp Law, we believe that brain injury clients should not be treated with suspicion but should receive the benefit of the doubt. They all need the compassion that an insurance representative will likely not provide. Our Tri-State brain injury attorneys can help you fight for the justice and compensation you need to assist with the cost of ongoing medical treatment, lost income, physical pain, emotional distress, and more.
Get in touch with our firm at (888) 724-9319 today to discuss your legal options. We provide cost-free initial consultations for all new and potential clients.
Jared is one of the best lawyers around my hubby had a ticket and he got it dropped.
Jared is one of the best lawyers around my hubby had a ticket and he got it dropped and he is working on another case for us I appreciate all he is doing for us.- Elizabeth Miller
The best lawyer I have ever worked with hands down!!! I highly recommend him!!
Jared is a great lawyer. I was nervous about my case and he assured me he would do his best to make sure it would be fine and indeed he did just that. Compassion for his work and is always one call away. He always answers any of the quest you have even after my case I call and ask questions and he is always available to answer them. The best lawyer I have ever worked with hands down!!! I highly recommend him!!- Technician
I would definitely hire Jared again in the future. Thank you Mr. Brankamp.
Mr. Brankamp turned a very scary, unknown legal matter into a situation we could calmly navigate through. He was polite but frank, fact finding yet empathetic. He really made us feel like he had our daughter's best interest. Even during a pandemic when we could not meet face to face, he was easy to communicate with and always kept us in the loop on what was happening. I would definitely hire Jared again in the future. Thank you Mr. Brankamp.- Elisha Bound