Tri-State Birth Injury Lawyers
Seeking Justice for Those Without a Voice
It is unthinkable that the negligence of a doctor or another medical provider could cause a newborn to suffer a severe injury, and one that is likely to last their lifetime. Yet birth injuries happen in the thousands each year due to preventable mistakes. If your own child was hurt before, during, or shortly after birth, then know that you are not alone in this trying time – and that you have legal options to try to set things right.
At Burnside Law, LLC, we proudly represent children who are born with birth injuries and their families who often struggle financially to support them. With us by your side, you can try to rest a little easier knowing that a winning team of Tri-State birth injury attorneys are working tirelessly to pursue justice and compensation on your behalf. It is our goal to help you find peace of mind and to help your child live as comfortably as possible.
Damages to seek in a birth injury claim may include:
- Upfront medical care costs
- Lifelong medical care and therapy costs
- Pain and suffering
- Lessened enjoyment of life
Depending on the severity of a child’s birth injury, the total cost of care across a lifetime can range into the millions of dollars. We carefully calculate current and projected damages so we can secure for you every last penny you and your child need and deserve.
Schedule your free consultation by calling (888) 724-9319 today.
Common Types of Preventable Birth Injuries
Medical providers must act with the utmost care and follow only acceptable standards of medical procedures when assisting with the birth of a child. The smallest mistake could cause lifelong harm to the child. The same is true even before an infant is born. Obstetricians and other medical specialists who care for pregnant mothers have a duty to monitor the pregnancy for signs of complications and take preventative steps as needed. If a preventable mistake causes a child to be born with a birth injury, then it is likely that medical malpractice has occurred.
Four of the most common forms of birth injuries are:
- Cerebral palsy (CP): When an infant’s brain is injured before or during birth, it can cause the permanent congenital disorder known as cerebral palsy, or CP. Children with CP often struggle with muscular control and regular development, requiring specialized care and educations.
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE): Even momentary oxygen deprivation to a newborn’s brain can cause HIE, a permanent birth injury that causes abnormal neurological developments. HIE can be caused during birth by umbilical cord strangulation, or before birth if the unborn child does not receive enough oxygen-rich blood.
- Brachial palsy: The nerves that connect a child’s shoulder to their spine and neck can become torn during birth if a medical provider tugs harshly or incorrectly on their arm. If one of these nerves is damaged or stretched, it can cause brachial palsy, which often results in partial or total paralysis of the arm.
- Facial deformation: A child may be born with facial deformations and scarring due to the misuse of forceps and vacuum extractors during birth. Medical providers who rely on deliver-assisting tools must be highly-trained in their proper use, or else they risk harming a child instead of helping them.
Call on Attorneys with a Real Passion for Justice
At Burnside Law, LLC, we have a genuine passion for securing justice for the wrongfully injured, especially when the wellbeing of a young child is on the line. You can trust in our Tri-State birth injury lawyers to provide you with remarkable legal counsel and real emotional support during this trying time. We do not rest until we secure the best possible outcome for your case. Thanks to our extensive experience with birth injury cases, we are ready to seek a fair conclusion either through settlement negotiations or litigation in court.
Call (888) 724-9319 to arrange your FREE case review!