Tri-State Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
Compassionate Legal Guidance When You Need It Most
While many nursing homes throughout the Tri-state area provide wonderful care for their residents, far too many facilities fall short. All too often, nursing home residents are subject to abuse and neglect at the hands of those who are supposed to provide their care. In many instances, nursing homes will resort to untrained and underpaid staff in order to meet their bottom line. This can result in unsuitable conditions, neglect, and abuse. In Ohio, the Ohio Resident Bill of Rights is intended to protect nursing home residents from poor treatment, but it is often used by insurance companies to protect their own interests.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
When vulnerable individuals are taken advantage of by those who are supposed to care for them, the results can be devastating. Elder abuse can take many forms, including physical, mental, financial, and sexual. In many cases, victims are unable or unwilling to speak up when the abuse happens. For this reason, it’s very important that you are able to recognize the signs of potential nursing home abuse. Knowing the signs can help you quickly discover unlawful actions and take the necessary steps to end them.
Some common signs of elder abuse include:
- Unexplained bruises, cuts, and other injuries
- Strange changes in behavior, such as lashing out
- Symptoms of stress, anxiety, or fear
- Unusual bank withdrawals or changes to estate plan
- Signs of over- or under-medication
- Bed sores, broken bones, and other serious injuries
- Lack of cleanliness or unkempt facilities
If left unaddressed, nursing home abuse can have serious, lasting effects, both emotionally and physically. At Burnside Brankamp Law, we are committed to fighting for your or your loved one’s rights. If you suspect that your elderly family member is being subjected to mistreatment at his or her living facility, get in contact with our Portsmouth nursing home abuse attorneys today. We offer compassionate, personalized legal services and attentive, one-on-one guidance every step of the way.
What is the Nursing Home Residents Bill of Rights?
The Nursing Home Reform Act states that "a nursing facility must care for its residents in such a manner and in such an environment as will promote maintenance or enhancement of the quality of life of each resident." This act was established to protect the quality of life of those who are elderly and being cared for in nursing homes.
Some of the requirements stated in The Nursing Home Residents Bill of Rights are as follows:
- The right to be ensured reasonable safety and personal security
- The right to be provided with adequate, appropriate and meaningful care
- The right to be free from undue or unreasonable restraint
- The right to be provided with adequate mental health care
- The right to be provided with adequate physical and occupational therapy services
- The right to be evaluated by appropriate professionals for placement in the most integrated setting
When Can I Sue a Nursing Home for Abuse?
When an act of negligence threatens your loved one's safety, they may be held legally responsible. There are many ways that negligence can lead to negligence, but there are a few guidelines that must be followed in order to have adequate grounds for suing a nursing home for negligence.
- Failure to keep premises or surroundings safe from hazards
- Negligent hiring of employees who end up neglecting, abusing, or otherwise intentionally harming a patient
- Negligent supervision of residents
- Failure to maintain health and safety protocols
- Failure to provide adequate medical treatment
There are many other circumstances that may lead to grounds for a civil lawsuit. If you believe your loved one was harmed due to negligence in a nursing home, contact Burnside Brankamp Law for more information on how to seek compensation and justice!
Jared is one of the best lawyers around my hubby had a ticket and he got it dropped.
Jared is one of the best lawyers around my hubby had a ticket and he got it dropped and he is working on another case for us I appreciate all he is doing for us.- Elizabeth Miller
The best lawyer I have ever worked with hands down!!! I highly recommend him!!
Jared is a great lawyer. I was nervous about my case and he assured me he would do his best to make sure it would be fine and indeed he did just that. Compassion for his work and is always one call away. He always answers any of the quest you have even after my case I call and ask questions and he is always available to answer them. The best lawyer I have ever worked with hands down!!! I highly recommend him!!- Technician
I would definitely hire Jared again in the future. Thank you Mr. Brankamp.
Mr. Brankamp turned a very scary, unknown legal matter into a situation we could calmly navigate through. He was polite but frank, fact finding yet empathetic. He really made us feel like he had our daughter's best interest. Even during a pandemic when we could not meet face to face, he was easy to communicate with and always kept us in the loop on what was happening. I would definitely hire Jared again in the future. Thank you Mr. Brankamp.- Elisha Bound